Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic School opened in 1908 to serve immigrant Catholic families in the Appalachia area. The Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity from Manitowoc, Wisconsin served the school from its beginning until 2003. Sister Joellen Kohlmann, OSF, was the last Franciscan to serve at the school.
Sts. Peter and Paul School is still in its original building, which was built by Father John Meade in 1907. At this time, there was not enough funding for both a church and school, so the downstairs level of the building was made into the church and the upstairs level was used for the school. This was to be a temporary solution, however, it remains that way today.
Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic School has seen many changes since 1908:
Professional teachers and teaching assistants now make up the faculty.
The classrooms are equipped with iPads and Smart Boards, digital computer white boards.
Students from 1st through 8th grade have personal computers and iPads to use throughout the school day.
The school provides the latest tablet computers, a mobile computer using digital pens as well as keyboard and mouse, for students in 5th through 8th grade.
7th and 8th graders are granted the usage of tablet computers at home in order to complete assignments and communicate with their teachers and peers via the school network.
The curriculum has expanded to include music, theater, fine art, and computer instruction.
The core mission of Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic School has remained unchanged: to create a Christian environment of academic excellence and spiritual formation in order to develop life long learners and responsible citizens who embody Catholic values and beliefs.
229 S. New York Avenue Wellston, OH 45692 Telephone (740)384-6354 Facsimile (740)384-2945